Tuesday 8 August 2017

Conversation: Nasi Lemak Burger Challenge? What Tokking You?

"Wat tokking you? Challenge, your head lah!"

"What you reading?"

"The stupid paper lah! Got no news or what? Some Malaysian burger place want to challenge Singapore's McDonald Nasi Lemak Burger!"

"Oh yes. I heard about that. Or read about it. What about it?"

"OK, first, McDonald (SG) comes out with the Nasi Lemak Burger. So now this MyBurgerlab (MY) "invented" the The Nasi Lemak Ayam Rendang Burger." 



"Rendang? But Burger King already have the Rendang Burger!"

"I oso say! I dunno what they trying to do, copy Nasi Lemak or copy Beef Rendang? Orrh! I know! I think their Nasi Lemak Burger not tasty enough! So they add Rendang sauce to make it tasty!

"Then they have to call it the Nasi Lemak Ayam Rendang Burger! Liddat easy lah! Next we make the Nasi Lemak Ayam Rendang Satay Burger! Just keep adding dishes to the burger, lah!"

"Or we can try a different tack. Someone just came up with the Chicken Rice Burger!"

"Aiyoh! What next, Curry Chicken Burger?"

"They have that. Except it's called the "Golden Pillow". And it's not exactly a burger. Curry Chicken in a HUGE bun."

"But cannot eat like a burger. Not like Chilli Crab. Everytime I eat Chilli Crab, I make my own "Chilli Crab burger" - use the mantou, wrap some crab, add some sauce - shiok!"

"I think this is all just very gimmicky. Nasi Lemak is a rice dish. But McDonald's is a burger joint. That they tried to adapt a traditional dish to a burger format is as much a marketing decision as it is an innovative gimmick."

"I oso say! Then the Malaysian want to copy. Always they try to copy. And then copy also dunno how to copy! Like Chinese saying, 'Draw Snake, add legs' - Add rendang to nasi lemak? Then it is rojak!"







No comments: