Thursday 25 April 2019

Judge, Jury, and Executioner

As I grow older, there are fewer and fewer things that I am sure of.

One thing I am still sure of is, I would not want to be a Judge.

Another thing I am sure of is, for fairness and impartiality, victims of crimes should not be meting out punishment for the crime.

But even as I become more circumspect and less judgemental, I see social media has... "empowered" others.

And has made judgments EASY for many others.


I often cringe when I read in the papers of the judgements and comments of judges in criminal cases. I am sure they are required to pass judgement and to stand in judgement of criminals, and to affirm the moral rectitude of society as they intone their judgement from their statutorily prescribed (?) moral high ground.

I just associate "rectitude" with rectum (and so "moral rectitude" with being "anal"), and giggle immaturely.

(It helps, or doesn't help, that I know some anally self-righteous persons... ok, just one. Um... maybe two.)

The point is, as I grow older, I find myself being... less judgemental. More mellow. More compassionate. More willing to consider mercy instead of just justice.

But I can see why people find it EASY to pass judgement.

The thing with social media and the internet is that is gives you knowledge.

And as anyone with a decent amount of literacy knows, "Knowledge is Power".

And when you KNOW, you are moved to ACT. You are EMPOWERED to act.

Nay! You have a RESPONSIBILITY to act.

Because, as any Spiderman fan would know, "with great power, comes great responsibility". And isn't fighting injustice the ultimate response/responsibility?

Also, isn't this the prayer of serenity?
"Grant me serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And Wisdom to know the difference."
Well, knowing there is injustice, and with social media so easily available, aren't we empowered to ACT to pursue JUSTICE, and if we do not are we NOT COURAGEOUSLY acting to right wrongs and INJUSTICE?

And look how EFFECTIVE this social pressure via social media has been! Companies have cut ties with NUS. The NUSSU first defended, and then caved into social media pressure and will have committee and meetings to discuss this. And the perpetrator has had to resign from his job!

No comments: